This is the first draft of NANTUCKET.
The manuscript weighs in at a hefty 123,336 words.
It’s also missing the last two scenes.
After much deliberation, I’ve decided that the best thing to do is to set the manuscript aside for 6 to 8 weeks; it will age and mature while I’m not looking, and then when I do my readthrough and cut out all the things that need to be cut, I will write the final two scenes.
As it stands, there are a lot of things that will need to be cut. For one thing, my end goal is a nice, trim 85,000 words. Also, I hadn’t wanted to revise as I wrote, so I made changes by writing subsequent scenes as if changes had already been written into the previous scenes. The result was a more enjoyable writing experience for me on the one hand, but on the other hand, because this is a mystery, there’s a lot still to be done during the revision process. I know there are several plot threads that aren’t followed as tightly as they should have been. Some of these threads might need to be dropped, as well.
And so I realized that my resistance to writing the final two scenes wasn’t some sort of psychological self-sabotage, but really just practical sense.
I didn’t want to sit down to write scenes that I knew would most likely have to undergo substantial changes. While I know the important things about the final two scenes – who the murderer is, how the murderer is caught, what happens to my main character as a result – there are a lot of things that I won’t be sure about until I’ve had a chance to read everything I’ve written up to that point, and cut what needs to be cut.
So I can safely say, this is definitely the first draft of NANTUCKET.
Yes, I’m finished!